Let me share a few freewares I use every day. These helpful tools will make the part of life you spend working on computer much easier and more pleasant. Try them out.
1. doPDF – this tool allows converting documents into PDF format. doPDF adds virtual printer driver to your system. That means you can save files as PDF in any program with Print option. Simply select Print from an application and choose doPDF as a printer. The tool allows setting custom resolution and paging scaling, choosing one of predefined page sizes, etc. The great feature: doPDF creates PDF file that are searchable by both people and search engines. OS: Windows all.
2. Q-Dir – a multifunctional file manager. Its distinctive feature is unusual interface with four panels displaying files and folders. The program has to versions – for 32-bit and 64-bit systems/ This file manager lets quickly access most often used folders, generate file thumbnails, etc. Q-Dir integrates into Windows context menu. It supports working with ZIP archives and FTP links. Q-dir includes some great tools to simplify your file management. They are screen magnifier, color filter, highlight filter, file-filter, quick-link’s for fast folder access and many other. OS: Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/Vista.
3. AkelPad – small yet handy and fast text editor. It can process text documents in single or multi window mode, provides full support of Unicode strings and codepages. With AkelPad, you can edit even read-only files and preview files before opening. Other great features: column text selection, multi-level undo, fast search/replace, print option. AkelPad can be installed on Windows Vista and Windows 7 to replace NotePad.
Hope you’ll enjoy them!
iCalendar or iCal format for calendar data exchange was initially developed for use under Apple Macintosh operating system, and you can find tons of info how to show iCal on Mac desktop. Nevertheless, iCal calendar can be displayed on Windows desktop as well and there are short reviews of Windows desktop calendar tools that support iCalendars. They let you exchange iCal data between iPhone, iPod, Google Calendar or other web apps and your PC.
1. Desktop iCalendar – desktop calendar consisting of 4 widgets – monthly calendar, events, to-do list and weather widget. Allows to sync calendar and to-do list with Google calendar, exchange data with any device which use .ics (iCalendar) format.
2. Active Desktop Calendar – desktop calendar with appointments notes, tasks, alarms and contacts. Allows data exchange with Outlook and Google Calendar. Supports iCal and CSV formats for data import \ export.
3. Screen Calendar – desktop wallpaper calendar and reminder, shows small or fullscreen calendar for one or two month. Allows easy synchronizing events with MS Outlook. Supports iCal fully that lets you subscribe to iCalendar sources, import events from iCal calendars (including Google Calendar) to the desktop and export events to .ics files.
Being in permanent search of interesting offers on the Web, I can’t miss the March offer of Flarium.com and want to share my find with you. This month they offer a bundle of FlashSlider – neat tool for flash slideshow making, and Watermarking – software for protecting digital images. I seem this bundle would be a happy choice for everyone who publishes digital pictures to the Web. Watermarking software adds watermarks to protect image copyrights that is very important when picture is shared on the Web to avoid its illegal use. FlashSlider turns images into an eye-catching and web-friendly swf slideshow which can be used for everything beginning from family photo album to business demonstration. Both softwares are extremely easy to use and suitable for all kinds of users.
So, hurry up not to miss the FlashSlider + Watermarking bundle at a discounted price.
Not to break the rule, after Christmas Sales I want to make up a list of Valentine’s Day special offers and discounts for software products. So, what software developers are in the most romantic mood this year? 😉
WonderShare – time to capture and share your moment. DVD Ripper Platinum + Video Converter Platinum + Video to DVD Burner Pack for a half price.
iSkysoft Studio – buy one, your lover gets one free. iSkysoft offer DVD to iPod, iPhone, etc. converters for Mac. You can buy software suites with discount and provide your lover’s email so that he or she can get registration code for free.
Flarium.com – love madly, buy wisely. Buy FlashSlider software with 35% discount and make a romantic Valentine’s slideshow of your digital photos for people you love. Show your love in slides.
Tulipchart.com – Cool EasyCard is exatly what you need to make Valentine’s Day card for your lover. Lots of templates and the lowest holiday price.
Happy Valentine’s Day! Love and be loved!
When reviewing software, the most difficult is not to pin a label on something and remember that there is no good or bad software, there is software for different needs. So, today I want to list 5 different Flash Slideshow creators. Each of them is the best – for different purpose.
1) Easy inserting into other SWF files or Power Point presentations – FlashSlider
FlashSlider lets easy create slideshows in flash format while controlling and customizing every slideshow option. I like FlashSlider for the fact slideshows it makes are clear and perfect for further inserting into another files. Still, FlashSlider has such advanced features as adding preloader, background music, navigation controls, etc., and its library of flash transition effects is very extensive (more than 110 effects).
Sometimes I use online services to create web slideshows, but I still prefer desktop slideshow creators. Among them, to create flash slideshow for further embedding into a web page, I use Photo Flash Maker. It’s an easy to use tool which allows publishing slideshows to the web hosting Go2Album directly from the program. After slideshow is uploaded to the web, it can be embedded to MySpace or Bebo profile, blog or any other website. Go2Album gives you URL of your SWF slideshow, HTML code to embed it to web page and, of course, free hosting.
3) 3D Flash effects – 3D Flash Slideshow Creator
Are you bothered with usual slideshows and their typical transition effects? Yes, sometimes I want something else too and use Aleo 3D Flash Slideshow Creator. 3D Carousels, Rollers, Scrollers – very nice and unusual 3D slideshow templates. The program also lets customize slideshow and publish it easily as an SWF and HTML.
4) Built in photo editing – SWiSH Pix
Among other great options of this slideshow creator, the one I like most of all is built in photo editing feature. SWiSH Pix lets rotate and crop photos, adjust brightness and contrast. Edit each photo directly from a slide preview – easy and quick. That’s much easier to get perfect displaying when editing photo in a slideshow maker than when editing it with other editor and then inserting into a slideshow.
5) Cute templates and cliparts – InAlbum Deluxe
When I need a cute, sweet, funny, yummy, etc. slideshow, I always use InAlbum Deluxe. More than 100 extremely cute templates, each with its preset music theme, animated cliparts, morphing faces, applying sound effects to the recorded voice or using program sounds – InAlbum has everything to have fun creating a flash slideshow.
That’s my top 5 Flash slideshow creators. Now it’s your turn to choose.
This is a guest post from Helen Grigorieva. She is a tech writer, an author of Flash’y’mania – blog about everything concerning Flash, an assistant marketing director of international software development company, a person interested in tech and Web news and a very nice girl 🙂
The last week of the year is the best time to resume everything that happened in the tech world during the year. So, let’s look at some statistics represented as flash charts to learn what was at the top this year.
Top websites 2008
What are the most popular places of the Web world? The most popular websites according to Alexa ranking and their daily reach (% of global internet users who visit the sites):
Top search engines 2008
Search is an integral part of the Web. Search engines are the integral parts of our life. What search engines were used the most this year?
Top web browsers 2008
Thing which opens the Web for us is a web-browser. Which is the most popular this year?
Top software 2008
Top software of this year is evidently various anti-virus programs. What else was in greatest demand this year?
Top PC games 2008
Of course, computer world can’t be imagined without games. Leaders of this year among the PC games are below:
That’s how computer world lived this year.
Charts are created with Animated Chart software.
It’s only one week left till Christmas, less than two weeks till the New Year. So, it’s time to buy software with Christmas discount until it’s not too late. Hurry up! I’ve composed a list of best offers and Christmas discounts on software for you.
Till January, 5th.
Happy Christmas shopping!
Today, Google announced that their Chrome leaves beta. This was really fast – about three month to make browser stable and fast enough to take off ‘beta’ label. It is a little strange for me to see Chrome 1.0 because major release must introduce new features, and Chrome 1.0 doesn’t. Yes, Chrome is rather fast and stable, but it still doesn’t have such important features as add-ons and built-in RSS reader, although everyone expected them to be in a non-beta version. So, what’s the hurry? It’s easy to understand – beta version can’t be preinstalled on a new computers. So, now we can expect that Google will try to conclude contracts with OEM (original equipment manufacturers). Maybe, your next computer will be with preinstalled Chrome :).
In spite of all unfinished tasks, let’s congratulate Chrome developers with the 1.0 version and wish them to make Chrome even better. Chrome 1.0 can be downloaded from here.